Airport Health Organization (APHO), Calicut is a unit of International Health Division under Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
APHO Calicut is a designated Point of Entry (POE) for coordination of activities and containment of Public Health Emergencies of International Concerns (PHEICs). It is the nodal organization to coordinate the PHEIC activities at Calicut International Airport. APHO Calicut, as a regular unit started in February-2017. Senior Regional Director, from Regional Office of Health and Family Welfare (ROHFW), Thiruvananthapuram is the Nodal Office for APHO Calicut.
Prior to February 2017, SRD Thiruvananthapuram was looking after PHEIC related activities at Calicut Airport and there was a pre-immigration Health counter ,called as Epidemic screening counter run by Kerala State Health (through District Medical Officer Malappuram) manned by Junior Health Inspectors.
APHO is located in Karippur, Malappuram District Kerala serving Calicut, Malappuram , Wayanad and North Kerala & is operated by Airport Authority of India (AAI). Presently, Calicut Airport receives flight from Gulf co operation council countries only (6-GCC countries). Routinely, the Airport handles an average of around 27-29 international flight per Day,(Both domestic and International around 33-34) and average International passenger load per month is 90,689. Airport Authority of India provides various services for passenger facilitation and smooth aircraft operation.
- Surveillance of International Passengers and Crew for Yellow Fever disease.
- Quarantine of Passengers. (No dedicated Quarantine center in the unit, passengers need to be quarantined in nearby APHO unit as needed)
- Public health clearance of dead body / human remains.
- Control and co-ordination during PHEIC.
- Vector surveillance (Aedes sp.) both inside and 100-meter perimeter area of Airport periodically in coordination with National Center for Disease Control Calicut.
- Verification of Flight Dis-insection status.
- Sanitary Inspection of Airport and premises.
- Training of Immigration staff and other stake holders on International Health, Yellow fever and on any updates as and when communicated by competent Authority.
- Protocol Duties as and when required.
Emergency Duties of organization are as follows
- Public Health Emergency of International Importance.
- To Assist Airport Local Health Authority and State Health Authority in dealing with Medical & Flight Emergencies if any.
Officer InchargeDr. Mohammed Jalaluddeen Thangakoya
AddressSenior Regional Director Trivandrum and i/c Apho Calicut Regional Office Of Health and FW, Meads Lane Cantonment, Thiruvananthapuram- 695 034
Phone/Fax0471 2322710/ 0483 271 2221