Port Health Organization, Visakhapatnam, came to existence in the year 1946.The ports under the jurisdiction of PHO Visakhapatnam for implementation of I.P.H.R. and I.H.R. include: -
- Visakhapatnam Sea Port – consisting of outer harbor, inner harbor, oil berths, fertilizer berth, LPG terminal and Offshore Tanker Terminal (OSTT)
- Gangavaram port – A privately functioning port around 20 kms south, which is a deep water port.
- Minor Ports – Kakinada port, around 150 kms south, under the administrative control of the State Govt. of Andhra Pradesh.
- Related to clearance of Vessels
- Clearance of Vessels: - Issuance of Radio & Free Pratique, Health Clearance.
- Inspection and Issuance of Ship Sanitation Certificate to Vessels.
- Inspection of provision and Issuance of Provision certificate.
- Inspection and Issuance of Medicine chest certificate.
- Clearance of Dead body
- Inspection of water supply to ships & water barges
- Sanitary Inspection and Monitoring and Supervision of Sanitary, Vector & Rodent control in docks and surrounding areas
- Monitoring and Supervision of sanitation of facilities for port users
- Monitoring and Supervision of sanitation control of cargo handling areas and yards
- Vaccination for Yellow Fever Disease to International travelers
- Licensing of Catering Establishments
- Other activities
- Support in case of Local Events.
- Accidents, Chemical- Gas Leakage- On board, Port area.
- Facilitating on board/ in port first aid.
- Facilitating quick transfer of injured/ affected.
- Coordination with Port trust medical unit/ local hospitals etc.
- Coordination with Customs/Immigration/Security / Port Trust / Port Operators / agent etc.
- Clearance of Passenger ships.
- Deployment of additional manpower.
- Coordination with National / state /local agencies in case of emergency as per emergency.
During Public Health Emergency of International Concern(PHEIC)
- Activation of PHECP and functions as per PHECP. Training of other stakeholders regarding PHEIC /any health-related event about the event, prevention, control, use of PPE etc.