The Airport Health Organisation (APHO), Chennai is a subordinate office under control of Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. It was established in the year 1939. Until Mar 2006 it was functioning under the administrative control Port Health Organisation, Chennai. Due to functional requirement, it has been separated from PHO, Chennai and formed into independent organization since Apr 2006.
The Organization is headed by Airport health Officer (APHO). He/She is overall incharge of the organization and is assisted by Asst. APHO and Medical Officers. This organisation is the local health authority in respect of the Chennai Airport.
The Airport Health Organisation, Chennai has the following three working sections/units: -
- Administrative Unit: - Presently located in the Quarantine Centre building in the old airport. It is about 8 kms away from Airport Terminals. All administrative work relating to running of the Organisation, budgeting, licensing, etc are dealt by this section.
- Medical Inspection Room: - Functioning from the arrival hall of international airport terminal building. It is mainly responsible for supervision of Sanitary, flight inspection & disinsection, Health screening, quarantine work, food hygiene, dead body clearance, etc.
- Quarantine Centre: - Presently one ward in RGGGH, Chennai is identified as temporary Quarantine Centre since 2017.
- Health screening of all international arrival passengers and quarantine (Routinely and during Public Health Emergency of International Concern-PHEIC).
- Supervision of Anti-mosquito and anti-rodent work inside the premises of airport carried out by Airport Operator (AAI).
- Supervision of general sanitation.
- Supervision of Disinfection, disinsection of aircrafts carried out by concerned airlines.
- Checking of “General Declaration” issued by pilot of aircraft arriving from foreign countries and clearing.
- Issuance of clearance certificate for Dead bodies brought from aboard.
- Attending onboard death.
- Issuance of licenses to all catering outlets inside the airport premises.
Officer InchargeDr. J. Kadhirvelu
AddressAirport Health Officer, Airport Health Organisation, Old Airport, Meenambakkam, Chennai – 600027, Tamil Nadu.
MI Room: Anna International Terminal, Chennai Airport, Chennai – 600027, Tamil Nadu.
Phone/Fax044-22560788, 044-22560789, 044-22560789
MI Room: 044-22566245/ 044-22563899 (Counter)