It is the sub-ordinate office of Directorate General of Health services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India to ensure implementation of International Health Regulations and The Aircraft (Public Health) Rules in IGI Airport, New Delhi. This organization works under administrative and technical control of Public Health (International Health) section of Directorate General of Health Services, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi.
The Airport Health Organization came into existence in pursuance of The Aircraft (Public Health) Rules, 1954 framed under the Aircraft Act, 1934. The Airport Health Organization, Goa primarily is a Public Health Organization and it is located at Headland Sada, Opp Post Office, Mormugao Harbour Area, Vasco, Goa.
An Airport Health Officer (APHO) works under the overall control of the Director General of Health Services (DGHS), Govt. of India, stationed at the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. The DGHS in turn is assisted by DDG (IH) and ADG (IH). The APHO Goa, was started in the year 2016 but made functional as APHO in 2020.
The Primary objective of this organization is to prevent International Spread of Diseases from one country to another as per International Health Regulations of World Health Organization. This is achieved by Implementation of Following Acts/ Rules:-
- The Epidemic Disease Act.
- The Indian aircraft Act, 1934.
- IHR (2005).
- The Indian Aircraft (Public Health) Rules 1954.
- Food standards and safety authority of India Act, 2006.
- Surveillance of International Passengers and Crew for yellow fever disease.
- Quarantine of Passengers: if any suspected passenger then ambulance is called from the nearest Health Centre and passenger quarantined at Government of Goa’s prescribed hospital.
- Public health clearance of dead body/human remains
- VVIP Food Safety & Surveillance Duties
- Food and Water Safety Duties
- Vector surveillance
- Flight Dis-insection
- Sanitary Inspection
- Medical & Flight Emergencies: done only in case there is emergency on board of international flights and pre informed to APHO.
- Public Health Emergency of International Importance.
Officer InchargeDr.Papiya Das
AddressAdministrative block: Airport Health Organization. C/o Port Health Organisation, Mormugao, Vasco-Da-Gama, Goa-403803
Medical Inspection Room: International Arrival Area adjacent to Immigration Office,Goa International Airport, Goa-403801